A visit to Marlborough is a step back in time. Over two hundred million years ago, ancient volcanic activity created the landscape you see today - huge boulder fields throughout the woodlands and creeks. We were originally inhabited by Native Americans thousands of years ago and in the 1700's the Lenape Turtle Clan of the Delaware Nation left their tracks here, in rock shelters, walls and ceremonial sites.
The first European settlements began around 1730 during the Palatine Emigration of Swiss, German, French Huguenot, etc., and were encouraged to come to Pennsylvania by William Penn, who issued land grants to those willing to settle here. Log cabins, many still in existence and incorporated into larger dwellings, formed the beginnings of the colony. We were known then as Salford Township until 1741, when the pioneers successfully petitioned the courts of Pennsylvania to create a new township - Marlborough. There was active recruitment here for George Washington's revolutionary army, and many founding families became enlisted patriots. The availability of running water along our creeks saw gun powder mills being built to supply the fight for independence. Some of these mills exploded due to the volatility of the product. Thomas Mayberry, a major landowner, built an iron forge in what is now Green Lane, and that industry began to bring prosperity to the area. In 1848 the Sumneytown and Spring House Turnpike was opened to Marlborough and resulted in an influx of tourism from the wealthy families of Philadelphia. Some of the original powder mills were rebuilt as flour and oil mills. Cigar manufacturing arrived along with other small businesses. Hand quarries of the dense rock supplied stone block for Old Germantown Pike. Remnants of our origins are everywhere.
Much of the past can still be seen in Marlborough, a rustic community, and while the township welcomes responsible development, the population continues to hover around 3,200. The woodlands are second growth and are part of the "Highlands", the largest contiguous forest on the eastern coast, running from Connecticut to New Jersey. Two historic one-lane stone arch bridges crossing the Unami Creek are eligible for the National Registry. The Unami Creek Watershed is one of only two creeks in Montgomery County protected as a High Quality Stream by the State of PA. The serene standard of living in Marlborough continues.